Saturday, March 27, 2010

Autumn Dreaming


This one was inspired by the pending Autumn coming down under and the changing leaves. The painting was done on 45x60 canvas using Monte Mart oil paints. The paints went down reasonably well and as a student, I found the paints to be suitable, at least for now, at nearly 1/12 the cost of student grade oils.

Critique

I like the tree on the left of screen, some nice highlights came through. IMO, the clouds keep getting better, and hopefully, they will look even better with more practice.

I'm finding myself lost when layering paints on top of background scrubs/tress. I think this will come down to paint consistency and thinning. The composition draws you to the middle of the painting. I didn't anticipate this as I was painting, and had to qujavascript:void(0)ickly improvise. In the end, I settle for something resembling a beach in the middle of frame. In hindsite, I could have turned this into a new little fishing shack.

No comments:

Post a Comment