Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Study on Hardwood


My parents had an old print that had faded and washed out but it was rather nicely framed. This is another little study this time on 14x11 inch hardwood. The hardwood was coated in white gesso and then painted in oils.

Critique

I enjoyed painting on the hardwood surface but was surprised by how easily brush strokes were left in the hard wood, This is most evident in the sky. In hind site, I should have used a blender brush to soften the effect.
I need to go over the boats when the paint dries a little to define them and the shadows a little better. I'm much happier with the layering of the trees in this last painting unfortunately the effect has been a little lost with the photo. That's a little deer in the middle of the grassy paddock. Overall, I'm happy with the slow progress and definitely see the trees as an improvement in this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment